My shoe storage before the remodel: I had over 200 pairs of shoes crammed into 4 small shoe racks underneath a rack of clothing, with a few stray pairs on the ground & around the house.
I designed a shelf system that I thought would be large enough to house the shoes I currently had, as well as provide space for new purchases. Unfortunately, I'm not good at math, so my measurements were severely skewed. Besides having to completely redo the shelves to accomodate my heels because of a minor error in measurements, I ended up with just enough storage for the shoes I currently have. No room to grow...and that's with some shoes double & triple stacked! Now, much to my dismay, if I choose to buy another pair of shoes, I have to get rid of a pair or store the shoes elsewhere.
My sweet hubby tearing apart the shoe shelves and rearranging them as necessary:
The finished shelves before paint:
Painting the MDF was the worst! It took no less than 5 coats...some pieces took 6-7 coats! Fresh MDF soaks up paint & primer like a sponge. I actually got so frustrated with painting the MDF by hand that I rigged up a spray paint 'bubble' in the closet and attempted to spray paint the area. It helped a lot, but I still had to do several coats by hand before I got a nice, even look.
My shoes all in place with the freshly painted MDF shelves, before the doors were installed:
A friend of mine used pegboard to easily store and organize her jewelry. It seemed like such a good system, so I had to steal the idea! Originally, I planned to put the pegboard against the wall behind the door in my closet. When I realized that my initial plan wouldn't work for the closet, I had to get creative. I came up with the idea to make doors out of the pegboard and attach them to my shoe shelves. Everyone I told about the doors happened to be against the idea, but I finally convinced my hubby to craft the doors for me anyways. These doors are my FAVORITE part of my closet remodel!! I've never felt more organized in my LIFE. My jewelry is so very easily accessed now & I've been very good about keeping everything in its place, which is a HUGE deal for me. I couldn't be happier with these doors.
My hubby and I cut the pegboard to size and bought 1x2 pieces of wood to make a frame for the pegboard. We cut channels in the 1x2s and placed the pegboard in the channels for more stability and security. After making the box frame on the shoe shelves, we attached the pegboard doors. We used magnets (bought at Home Depot) to keep the doors shut when closed.
Before paint:
Everything else I had painted recently took so many coats, so I expected the pegboard to take several as well. Luckily, the pegboard only needed one coat of primer and one coat of paint. Happy girl!
And now, the moment I know you have been waiting for....AFTER pictures! A whole bunch of them. Enjoy!
I'll post a blog about my earring storage when I get a chance. As soon as I find a chest & dresser in the right size, my closet project will officially (finally) be complete. A 'weekend project' turned into a several month ordeal, but I am SO happy with the way things have turned out. Having my shoes & jewelry so organized has really made a big impact on my life. Getting ready is so much less stressful when I know where all of my stuff is! I'm very happy with this little shoe closet project. Thanks to my hubby for making it all happen and thanks to everyone for reading this blog!
No comments:
Post a Comment