Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Proposal! [June 15, 2009]

On the morning of June 12, 2009, Dustan told me to pack a weekend bag with 'a swimsuit and clothes for 80 degree weather'. He whisked me away to the airport without telling me our destination. When we finally got to the check in and got our boarding passes, I noticed that we were headed to Portugal. I was so bummed. I had no desire to visit Portugal!! After a few spoiled brat pouts, Dustan told me Portugal was just the stop before our final destination. We were actually headed to VENICE, ITALY! I was so excited!! Dustan and I visited Italy [Rome & Pisa] in June 2008 when we took our Mediterranean cruise. It was during the cruise that our relationship truly took off. It was very fitting for Dustan to take me back to Italy to propose!

After we landed, we located the ‘water bus’ and headed into Venice. Dustan booked us a room at a 5 star hotel [Hilton Molino Stucky] on a private island in Venice. It was an old flour mill that Hilton took over and converted to a fabulous hotel! As with all international trips, we slept thru the first day. The next day we went to Lido. I believe Lido is the only island in Venice with a beach. It sure seemed that way with all the tourists and locals gathering along the water! It was a lovely beach and I would gladly return for a summer trip in the future. After the beach, Dustan suggested that we get massages at the hotel spa. He sent me on my way and he went to shower. I thought nothing of it at the time, but I later found out that he sent me for a massage so that he could coordinate the proposal!

The next day we went to explore Venice. Dustan seemed particularly interested in the time, so I knew he was up to something. We saw the main tourist attractions and bought masquerade masks. Venice is VERY famous for their HUGE Mardi Gras celebration!! I would like to visit Venice during Mardi Gras at some point in my life. Anyways, Dustan finally lead me across to the Grand Canal for a Gondola ride. We spent 30 minutes on a ride around the canal before splitting off to a private canal. Dustan started fidgeting, so I knew what was about to happen! Once we turned a corner, I saw a group of people with a rolled up banner. Dustan gave me a mini speech, pulled out the ring and proposed to me in Italian! They dropped the banner with my name and the proposal and tossed millions of rose petals on us! Rose petals were EVERYWHERE! They looked so pretty in the Gondola and floating on the water in the canal. Everyone was cheering, clapping, and waving at us. I felt like a celebrity! I was so worried about taking pictures of the banner and the flower shower that I barely heard what Dustan said during the proposal. He said that I never even answered, I just said ‘Put the ring on!’ and started snapping pics of the banner! I was sooo nervous and shocked! It was honestly the most amazing proposal EVER!! I told Dustan that he had to think of something spectacular for me to say yes and he DID!

THE PROPOSAL:


THE RING:


We got married in Las Vegas on September 19, 2009. I cannot believe my one year anniversary will be in three months!! The time had gone by so fast. The last year has been amazing!! I have the most amazing husband. I love you, Duzzie!

No comments:

Post a Comment